links truncated: link_url column in wp_links table -- datatype too small
|Reported by:||goto10||Owned by:||nacin|
Here is my original post about the issue: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/365540?replies=3
In short, the link_url column in the wp_links table has a datatype of VARCHAR(255). As far as I know, there is no pre-defined limit to the length of a URL. However, browsers typically enforce their own practical limits, the shortest of which is much larger than the 255 character limit that WP is enforcing. Entering urls longer than 255 characters causes them to be truncated.
I tried altering the table so that link_url has a datatype of VARCHAR(1024). This allowed me to use much larger links without them being cut off. Therefore, I believe that the limiting factor is the DB and not some other code within WP.
Change History (13)
- Keywords 2nd-opinion dev-feedback added; links wp_links removed
- Milestone changed from Unassigned to Future Release
comment:5 SergeyBiryukov — 4 months ago
- Keywords needs-patch added; has-patch removed
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 3.7
comment:6 vinod dalvi — 4 months ago
- Cc mozillavvd@… added
- Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed