new ms site sometimes gets no roles
|Reported by:||RogerTheriault||Owned by:|
After upgrading to WPMU 2.9.2 from 2.8.6, we experienced a strange issue with NEW blogs - the blog's wp_xx_user_roles option was not adequately populated. There were no warnings, complaints, or errors at blog creation time.
- the admin could not access the new blog's admin side (the exact message is "You don't have permission to view this blog. Please contact the system administrator.")
- the Add New User admin panel (for a site admin) only displays the role "Administrator" in the drop-down
- the wp_xxx_user_roles blog option contains only one "administrator" role with no capabilities (except those added by active plugins)
Looking at the install_blog function in wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php, it seems the order of function calls suddenly matters, once we changed it to the below, we were able to create new blogs with correct user roles:
The init function sets the option key for the roles but will not save anything to the db if the global $wp_user_roles already exists.
- Have not tested against trunk
- we suspect it may not manifest itself in every installation.
- We do have plugins installed that add capabilities (eg: wp-polls) but those did not cause any issues in 2.8.6.
- we are using memcached
Steps to reproduce:
- create a new blog and administrator using the form at the bottom of the Blogs list (as a site admin)
- using the new admin's credentials, attempt to access the new blog's admin page, eg: http://somesite.com/newblogname/wp-admin/
- the admin is denied access and debugging indicates the user has no "read" or "edit_user" capabilities
- Note: site uber-admins can still access the new blog's admin pages
- copy the serialized array from the wp_xxx_user_roles option of another blog to the new blog.