Localised installs no longer receiving translations for bundled themes
|Reported by:||dd32||Owned by:||dd32|
As a result of this, Translated builds no longer receive updated translation files (as the .org version of the theme does not contain any translation files).
This was a known issue for 3.2, however, Language packs were to take over for 3.3, and that hasn't happened.
Note: Previous to the above changes, If a user updated their bundled theme after updating core, they'd lose translation files too.
We need to include some way for localised builds to receive bundled theme translations, either:
- Actually include translation files with the theme (which is what every other theme would be doing) - Language Packs will remove the need for that
- Include twentyeleven/twentyten language files in wp-content/languages/ - but I don't believe the load_textdomain() call will load from there?
- Forcibly copy wp-content/themes/twenty(ten|eleven)/languages/ over during the update process when wp-content/themes/twenty(ten|eleven) exists - This will still result in translation loss when a user updates their theme after core.
3 is a band aid until language packs eventuate, and seemingly the best option if 2 isn't possible. 1 has downsides over all copies ending up with a tonne of extra language files which may or may not be used.
See: http://wppolyglots.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/hello-translation-for-twenty-eleven-isnt-included-in/ and http://wppolyglots.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/twenty-eleven-losses-translation-after-3-2-1-update/
Change History (27)
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 3.5
- Owner set to dd32
- Status changed from new to accepted