Twenty Twelve: better support for IE7 and IE8 (don't use mobile menu)
|Reported by:||bpetty||Owned by:||lancewillett|
|Cc:||lancewillett, drewstrojny, xoodrew@…, emil@…, bpetty|
The issue of IE7/8 using the mobile version of the menu (see #21440) is caused by the stylesheet defining mobile styles as the default, and overriding those in media queries for desktop screen sizes, but since IE7/8 don't support media queries, they only use the mobile styles.
Having discussed this in IRC with lancewillet and mattwiebe for a bit, there's some that believe that "mobile first" design (used for Twenty Twelve) forces the stylesheet to define mobile screen styles as the default non-media-query-supporting styles before defining desktop screen styles within media queries.
Even though I still don't believe that is true, it's really too late to change that now anyway with Twenty Twelve now up on Extend. So instead, I'm proposing that this can still be fixed without changing the stylesheet at all by using this hack which conditionally includes a JS library that adds fake support for media queries for browsers that don't support it:
I think this was a huge oversight to assume that it would just be fine to show the mobile version of the menu on IE7/8, and we already had bug reports coming in before Beta 1 was even released. I know that with over 30% of all desktop users still using IE7/8, this will be an ongoing problem with duplicate reports constantly coming in if it is not fixed.
I have tested this on IE8, and it does indeed fix the menu, and seems to work well. As an added bonus, IE7 and IE8 are also now actually responsive too.
Change History (87)
- Cc lancewillett drewstrojny added
- Severity changed from major to normal
- Cc xoodrew@… added
- Keywords needs-testing added
- Keywords needs-testing removed
- Summary changed from Twenty Twelve: Support Media Queries on IE7/8 (don't use mobile menu) to Twenty Twelve: better support for IE7 and IE8 (don't use mobile menu)
- Keywords needs-patch needs-testing rtl-feedback added; has-patch removed
- Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed
- Owner set to lancewillett
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed