Demand to disable plugins in order to create a network doesn't make sense
|Reported by:||mark-k||Owned by:|
- have some plugins active on a stand alone WP
- add define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true); to wp-config.php
- go to "tools" >> "Network Setup" and you get a "Warning: Please deactivate your plugins before enabling the Network feature."
- you have to disable the plugins in order to continue the process
And I have to ask why? This doesn't make sense for the following reasons
- Why plugins and not themes? any "bad" code that can be in a plugin can also be in a theme.
- If the plugins provide essential functionality, then my site will stop behaving as expected. This basically will put the site in maintenance mode, so why not to do it automatically in the code to be able to get faster in and out of this mode?
- Did it ever happened that a plugin ruined a network install?
At the least this should be treated as a warning and not as an error, i.e. the text get displayed but the user can continue with the process if he decides to ignore the warning.