Better way of removing spam
|Reported by:||markjaquith||Owned by:||anonymous|
|Severity:||normal||Keywords:||spam ajax moderation wp-admin|
We have several wp-admin comment views, but none that is ideal for despamming.
Rundown of the current methods:
- going backwards through your approved comments, marking spam as you find it
- searching through bulk moderation on known spam keywords you've seen turn up
The second method is great for huge attacks. The first method has issues.
- you don't know which comments are new, so as you page backwards chronologically, there isn't a good stopping point
- it is slow, waiting for the AJAX request and animation
- #3829 : as you mark comments as spam, new ones don't fill the page, so when you move to the next page, you skip over them.
Here is my idea:
- new view: Despam
- forward chronological view (oldest first)
- compact display, for easy scrolling
- radio buttons: Approve, Delete, Spam
- "Process »" button at bottom
- WordPress option that stores the timestamp of the most-recent comment on the page, every time the "Process" button is pressed
As you can tell, it's the last one that really sells it. That is what we use to determine the oldest comment shown when a user views the "Despam" page.
This would allow for a nice workflow:
- See: "Unprocessed comments (106)"
- Scroll through 50 comments on a page, with one click to mark as spam or delete (and no AJAX wait)
- Click "Process" when at the bottom of the page
- You get the next most recent page of comments, and will never again see the previous page
This would be very much like the Mass Edit Mode, except that you'd have radio buttons for spam/delete choices, it would be chronological (instead of reverse chronological), and it'd remember which comments you've processed and which you haven't, by storing that timestamp.
So what do you think? Good core addition, or should I write it as a plugin?
Change History (6)
comment:1 markjaquith — 7 years ago
- Keywords spam ajax moderation wp-admin added
- Type changed from defect to enhancement