Separate post and link category management and taxonomy
|Reported by:||ryan||Owned by:||ryan|
|Severity:||normal||Keywords:||category link post tag|
Since we didn't go the route of having the complete pool of categories show up on the write post and add link pages back in 2.1, the unified management UI doesn't make as much sense. It is a source of confusion since the post and link categories are united under Manage->Categories but separated everywhere else. Instead let's resurrect link category management under Blogroll->Categories. To accomplish this, we will need to add some API and add a new taxonomy type.
- TAXONOMY_LINK_CATEGORY will be added as a valid value for the type bitfield in the categories table
- wp_create_link_category() will create a new link category. It will call wp_insert_category() to do the heavy lifting and pass the type as TAXONOMY_LINK_CATEGORY. wp_insert_category() will handle create a new category object if one doesn't exist or setting the type on an existing category object.
- wp_delete_link_category() will delete a link category. The link logic in wp_delete_category() should be split out into wp_delete_link_category(). Each call should delete the underlying category object only if the bitfield is clear. Otherwise it should just remove the appropriate bit from the field.
- Refactor wp-admin/categories.php so that it can manage both link and post categories and be presented under separate tabs in the admin UI.
- Possibly break the non-idempotent operations in wp-admin/categories.php into wp-admin/category.php and modify them to accommodate link and post categories.