Allow wp-config.php to exist one level up from WordPress root directory
|Reported by:||sambauers||Owned by:||anonymous|
For a while in bbPress we have allowed users to keep their bb-config.php file one level below the root directory. It's helpful for a few reasons.
- It's a little more secure if wp-config.php happens to also be outside the webroot
- It allows us to add WordPress as an external repository in other projects with a config file that sits outside that external repository (we do this with bbPress a lot)
- Removes direct calls to wp-config.php, which allows more control of it's loading through wp-load.php in the future
- Removes some duplicate code in some places for detecting wp-config.php
WordPress requires a few more changes to get it to do this as there are a few hard-coded include paths to wp-config.php
This patch adds a new file called wp-load.php in the root which allows the places that statically include wp-config.php to include wp-load.php instead
I'm pretty sure this patch won't break backward compatibility for people who directly include wp-blog-header.php elsewhere either. wp-blog-header.php calls wp-load.php in this patch.
Change History (29)
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from reopened to closed