Import TypePad data using AtomPub.
|Reported by:||cavemonkey50||Owned by:||westi|
First off, I want to mention that TypePad updated their AtomPub server a few days ago, and their server does not seem to be sending comments. With a little luck, my current code should work fine once that server starts functioning again, but for the time being I would highly recommend not committing this into core.
Instead, I'm hoping people can look over the code and offer suggestions for improvement, test results, etc. While the Summer of Code is officially over today, I will be working on this until the job is done.
Alright, now to what this is. As some of you may know, I've been working on an Atom Publishing Protocol (RFC 5023) based importer this summer for the Google Summer of Code. The diff attached is the latest version of my work.
The advantages of using the Atom Publishing Protocol are as follows:
- Nothing has to be done in the old blogging software to prepare for import (no export files, etc). Users just enter their blog URL, username, and password and the importer grabs all of the data using AtomPub.
- More data is imported compared to the old importers, especially with TypePad. Post slugs, comments, trackbacks, tags, categories, excerpts, etc are all imported. Everything used for posts in MT/TypePad is imported using AtomPub.
- The Atom Publishing Protocol is an established standard. With the exceptions of tag additions (which don't necessarily need updates), the importer should not have to be changed and should continue working well into the future.
I should mention there is one drawback to using the Atom Publishing Protocol. For the time being, it appears pages can not be retrieved using AtomPub. They were retrievable a few weeks ago, and I'm currently talking with Six Apart to see what happened.
I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Let me know your suggestions, and I'll be happy to incorporate them.
Change History (10)
comment:2 cavemonkey50 — 5 years ago
- Summary changed from Import Movable Type and TypePad data using AtomPub. to Import TypePad data using AtomPub.
- Owner changed from anonymous to westi
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Component changed from Administration to Import
- Milestone changed from 2.8 to 2.9