Better icons for WordPress 2.7
|Reported by:||demetris||Owned by:|
In my judgement, the icon set introduced in revision 9882 is not satisfactory, and not the best that can be done for 2.7, even within the time constraints in place.
I concocted a few tentative alternatives by picking icons from three open-source projects --Tango 0.8.1,<1> GNOME 2.24,<2> and Pidgin 2.5.2-- and I am submitting them for discussion.
- I know there are compatibility issues with the cc-by-sa licence used by the Tango icons. (The next generation of Tango icons will probably be released to the public domain, but we are not there yet.<3>) HOWEVER, the tangofied GNOME icons are published under the GPL.
- As you will see, I could not find perfect metaphors for all cases. However, this can be probably fixed, even within the current timeframe. First, better metaphors may exist in other sets of tangofied icons released under the GPL. Second, there are many good Tango artists, and many of them use WordPress -- if they knew about this, they might not be averse to lending a quick hand.
DESCRIPTIONS OF ATTACHED SETS AND SCREENSHOTS
- menu1.png and menu1-ss.png. The icon set introduced in revision 9882.
- menu2.png and menu2-ss.png. Tango icons. No B+W subset.
- menu3.png and menu3-ss.png. Same as above with two GNOME icons (Links and Settings).
- menu4.png and menu4-ss.png. GNOME icons, one Pidgin icon (Plugins), one Pidgin icon modified by me (Comments). No B+W subset.
- menu5.png and menu5-ss.png. Same as above with B+W subset.
A viable alternative, in my opinion, would be to release 2.7 with no icons at all.
Change History (19)
- Milestone 2.7 deleted
- Resolution set to wontfix
- Status changed from new to closed