direct theme install error is not reported
|Reported by:||foresto||Owned by:|
I just spent a few hours banging my head against a wordpress 2.8.4 installation which was mysteriously failing to accept a theme upload through the web UI. Instead of accepting the upload, it kept giving me a "failed to connect to ftp server" message and prompting me for ftp credentials. This was odd, because other installations simply accepted my upload and installed it.
After some experimentation, here's what seems to be going on:
- Wordpress tries accepting my theme file and installing it directly (from within the web server process).
- If that fails, Wordpress falls back to installing via ftp.
Problem: It never tells me the cause of the original failure, or even that there was a failure in the first place!
In this case, the original failure turned out to be related to file ownership in the wp-admin directory. Regardless, the failure should yield a helpful error message so the sysadmin can fix it, not just pretend that nothing went wrong and move on to ftp as if that was the only way to install a theme.
Change History (8)
- Milestone Unassigned deleted
- Resolution set to invalid
- Status changed from new to closed
- Keywords dev-feedback close added; reporter-feedback removed
- Milestone set to Unassigned