WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#13754 closed defect (bug) (worksforme)

"Add Site" results in incorrect subdomain URL

Reported by: ohthenoes Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version: 3.0
Component: Multisite Keywords: reporter-feedback
Focuses: Cc:

Description

Frumph recommended for me to make this ticket because neither he nor I can make sense of it.

I upgraded my WP using the Beta Tester plugin two days ago and decided to turn on the multi-site feature.

I was in the WP IRC at the same time and Frumph and sivel told me that "www." isn't recommended. Because I had installed WP with "www." included, I went into phpMyAdmin to remove them from the following tables: wp_blogs, wp_options, wp_site, wp_sitemeta.

However, the problem when I try to use the "Add Site" feature.

I decide to create "munsu.skyling.net" and hit the add site button. When it comes up on dashboard, the URL has become: "munsu.skyling.netskyling/".

Screenshots for more clarity

Attachments (1)

wp-config.php (2.1 KB) - added by ohthenoes 4 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (18)

comment:1 ohthenoes4 years ago

  • Priority changed from highest omg bbq to high

comment:2 dd324 years ago

Can you reproduce this in a non-db-modified installation?

To me, It sounds like you may have left a field set which shouldnt be (Not a clue which one however)

comment:3 westi4 years ago

  • Keywords reporter-feedback added
  • Priority changed from high to normal
  • Severity changed from blocker to major

We need more reproductive details and you really need to test this on a clean install where you haven't made manual modifications to the database.

comment:4 wpmuguru4 years ago

Did you edit your wp-config.php and change the DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE constant?

Did you edit the siteurl & home options in your options table?

comment:5 ohthenoes4 years ago

I have limited internet at the moment (will be able to have proper access on Saturday) and will attempt to reproduce it then. Apologies for that.

@wpmuguru: I checked wp-config.php and the DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE constant is as it should be.

Yes, I also edited siteurl and home.

I am planning on undo-ing the entire network process (restore my old wp-config.php, htaccess and MySQL database prior to the enabling of the multisite feature). Then I will attempt to do the process over. I'd like you guys to give me the go ahead, unless there are other things you devs would like to check out.

comment:6 ohthenoes4 years ago

I just tested something. Here's the step-by-step:

  1. I went into cPanel and configured my domain to accept both "www." and non-"www."
  2. I deleted my wp-content/cache/
  3. I made a new MySQL database.
  4. I imported my MySQL backup (prior to the enabling of the multisite and contains the "www.").
  5. I changed back the .htaccess and the wp-config.php to connect to the new MySQL database.
  6. WordPress did the database upgrade thing.
  7. I did the steps to enable the multisite.
  8. I attempted to make a new site.
  9. The URL became "munsu.skyling.netskyling_net"

I checked around and looked into the wp_config.php. I think I found where the "skyling_net" comes from. It's actually my database name - though I can't understand why it would insert itself there. This applies to my original configuration as well - my original database name was skyling (as much as that's not really security-safe).

comment:7 wpmuguru4 years ago

If you want your network to respond to both the www and non-www domain you should remove the www from your URL before you enable the network.

When you did the test did you disable all plugins & revert to the default theme?

comment:8 ohthenoes4 years ago

(Sorry about the bad formatting)

I tested it twice, with both an un-edited database and edited to remove the www. Both resulted in the same problem. I disabled all my plugins but didn't revert theme.

I tried again just now with the same steps (with both edited and un-edited database) but with reverting to the default theme. The problem remains.

comment:9 follow-up: nacin4 years ago

Please disable all of your plugins. If you can start fresh again with a new install and new DB, that would be far preferred. A /cache folder is not part of core, so I imagine something else may be interfering.

Moving to Unassigned due to lack of reproducible feedback.

comment:10 nacin4 years ago

  • Milestone changed from 3.0 to Unassigned

comment:11 wpmuguru4 years ago

Can you upload your wp-config.php sans the database details?

comment:12 wpmuguru4 years ago

What is the $base variable set to in your wp-config.php?

ohthenoes4 years ago

comment:13 ohthenoes4 years ago

Sans database, uploaded.

$base = '/';
I copied it straight from the network creation page.

comment:14 in reply to: ↑ 9 ohthenoes4 years ago

Replying to nacin:

Please disable all of your plugins.

I did this each time I installed the multisite and also when I tested creating a site.

comment:15 ohthenoes4 years ago

Removed everything and reinstalled using the latest RC. Problem fixed.

comment:16 nacin4 years ago

  • Milestone Unassigned deleted
  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Severity changed from major to normal
  • Status changed from new to closed

comment:17 andrea_r4 years ago

It's related specifically to Dreamhost's One Click installer. See thread:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/419042

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.