No Obvious Way to End Maitenance Mode / Problems Upgrading Large Plugins on 1and1
|Reported by:||layotte||Owned by:|
|Component:||Upgrade/Install||Keywords:||maitenance mode plugins, upgrade|
I'm sure this affects all hosts like 1and1, but there was a plugin I was trying to auto-upgrade (s2member) from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5.
When I was in WP2.9.2 I received an allocation error. Basically 1and1 restricts the memory_limit and there is no way to up it. So I wanted to see what would happen in WP3.0. I auto-upgraded to WP3.0 without a problem. Under the "Dashboard" there was a (1) next to Updates. I clicked "Updates" and put a check mark next to s2Member and clicked the "Update Plugins" button.
From here I got the standard WP3.0 message about going into "Maintenance Mode" and that it may take a while to upgrade the plugin, with a little swirly GIF pretending that progress is happening :).
I assume that it stuck on the same allocation error and never actually did anything. After about 5 minutes, I tried to browse to a different location of wp-admin. I received this message "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."
So, as I see...
1) The admin should not be restricted from browsing the site/wp-admin in "Maintenance Mode"
2) The admin should be able to cancel "Maintenance Mode" (or if there is a way, it should be obvious)
3) The auto-upgrade/maintenance mode needs to die gracefully when an error occurs, such as a memory_limit is reached.
In the mean time, how do I kill maintenance mode so I can get back to working on my site? :)
P.S. I set this to prority to "highest omg bbq" and "severity" to major because this has the potential to severally affect non-technical WP users. (from what I can tell)f
Change History (11)
- Milestone changed from 3.0.1 to Unassigned
- Priority changed from highest omg bbq to normal
- Severity changed from major to normal
comment:10 dd32 — 3 years ago
- Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
- Resolution set to maybelater
- Status changed from new to closed