WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#14181 closed defect (bug) (duplicate)

When using custom post/taxonomy terms in a menu, menu system breaks if taxonomy changes

Reported by: jaredwilli Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: major Version: 3.0
Component: Menus Keywords: menu, taxonomies, terms
Focuses: Cc:

Description

Just had this happen for the 3rd time now, twice yesterday, but this time it was caused by changing themes, which makes it even more likely to happen to others, I'd imagine.

The problem involves the nav menu system complete breaking, in a bad way as far as I can tell too. I tried several different things to try and repair whatever was causing it to entirely collapse and was unsuccessful in finding a fix.

The only thing I was left to do was reset the whole WordPress install to the defaults.

When you create a custom taxonomy, (post types most likely would do this too but I didn't want to test it) then add terms to the taxonomy as you would. Then add terms of that taxonomy to a custom menu that you set up with the new menu manager feature, if for some reason or another the custom taxonomy you made is removed, changed or altered in anyway which would make it unrecognizable by the terms which depend on its existing then the menu system breaks.

Not sure if that is clear enough.

Basically, you cannot leave terms of a custom tax included in a custom menu, if you decide to change your taxonomy's name, or setup, or remove it. And it is easy to forget to remove them too I've learned.

Also, the 3rd time it happened because i had terms in a menu, and i switched my sites theme to a different one which did not have the custom tax of the theme before.

The errors I get where my menu should be is:
---
Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in \new2wp\wp-includes\formatting.php on line 2829
---

And also, when I got to the menu manager page in the dashboard, it's just a white page with an error. When viewing the source code of the page, this is all that is there:

---

<li id="menu-item-62" class="menu-item menu-item-depth-1 menu-item-consumer menu-item-edit-inactive">

<dl class="menu-item-bar">

<dt class="menu-item-handle">

<span class="item-title"><br />

<b>Catchable fatal error</b>: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in <b>C:\wamp\www\new2wp\wp-includes\formatting.php</b> on line <b>433</b><br />
---

Idk if someone else around here would know of a fix for this that didn't involve resetting WP to defaults, but it seems like it might be a good idea to try not to have to find one and fix this.

Also, I've written a complete in-depth post with all the details I found in 6 hours of trying to figure out what happened, here: http://new2wp.com/rookie/bug-wordpress3-taxonomies-wp_nav_menu/

Thanks,

Jared Williams

Change History (2)

comment:1 filosofo4 years ago

  • Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
  • Resolution set to duplicate
  • Status changed from new to closed

This seems like a duplicate of #13958

comment:2 jaredwilli4 years ago

Ahh, yes it is. My bad.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.