"Cheatin', uh?" is not helpful feedback for users or developers
|Reported by:||shidouhikari||Owned by:|
I've sen this infamous error msg more times than I wanted, in my own site where I'm admin.
That happens with more frequency when adding a new comment, but some times also inside admin pages.
I understand it's generally capability and permission tests that fail, and that happens in pages that ppl without permission to access them shouldn't see links to them, therefore they probably tried direct access to somewhere they shouldn't be going.
But also it happens when session expires or due to some bug. In this cases, the user is effectively not doing anything wrong, it may even be WP fault, and when that's the case the message is rude, even offensive to more emotional ppl.
Even worse, it gives no hint on what went wrong, so that user can try to fix it.
Then I suggest these messages to be changed, to more meaningful and also polite messages. Real cheaters and hackers will already have any info a message may provide, so a better explanation of what went wrong won't help them succeed in their attempt to hack a site, and will help a lot the victims of these errors.
Change History (99)
- Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
- Resolution set to wontfix
- Status changed from assigned to closed
- Cc bk@… added
- Resolution wontfix deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
2 years ago
- Focuses ui accessibility added
- Keywords needs-patch added; has-patch removed
- Type changed from defect (bug) to enhancement
22 months ago
- Summary changed from Cheating huh? to "Cheatin' huh?" is not helpful feedback for users or developers
22 months ago
- Summary changed from "Cheatin' huh?" is not helpful feedback for users or developers to "Cheatin', uh?" is not helpful feedback for users or developers
21 months ago
- Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed