id summary reporter owner description type status priority milestone component version severity resolution keywords cc focuses
15001 Duplication and incompatibilities in register_new_user() and wp_insert_user() coffee2code "As a result of , the commit of a patch that was part of #11644 (the MU-merge ticket), `wp_insert_user()` was modified to introduce user verification checks. The addition of these checks also introduced a number of duplications and incompatibilities between it and `register_new_user()`. (Bear in mind that `register_new_user()` calls `wp_create_user()` which calls `wp_insert_user()`.)
These issues include:
* Duplication (both run-time execution and code): both functions perform `username_exists()` and `email_exists()` checks. Ideally, we should only perform each check once, and from a single piece of code.
* Whereas both functions perform `username_exists()` and `email_exists()` checks, `register_new_user()` performs more checks (empty_username, invalid_username, empty_email, invalid_email). If the former 2 are being checked, all 6 criteria should be checked.
* `wp_insert_user()` can now return a WP_Error object, but `register_new_user()` can't handle it (I reported this in #14290)
* `register_new_user()` generates a new generic error if `wp_create_user()` (via `wp_insert_user()`) returns an error (assuming proper patch #14290), rather than passing along the more specific error it was told about
If an error is returned by `wp_create_user()`, `register_new_user()` throws a generic 'registerfail' error (`'ERROR: Couldn’t register you... please contact the webmaster !'`). However, most likely it received a more informative WP_Error object.
* `register_new_user()` allows errors to be suppressed via filters, but `wp_insert_user()` does not
`register_new_user()` has the filter 'registration_errors' which allows plugins to suppress any encountered errors. Having done so, `register_new_users()`'s subsequent call to `wp_create_user()` can generate an error (of the type already suppressed) which is then un-suppressable. This renders the 'registration_errors' filter useless for the username_exists and email_exists errors (and possibly other in the future).
These different issues may warrant separate tickets, but cumulatively I think they point to the need to refactor `register_new_user()` and `wp_insert_user()` to be more efficient and compatible.
This is a rare instance where I don't include an immediate patch for a ticket, but I wanted to get it out there and see if we can try and get these fixed for 3.1.
" defect (bug) new normal Future Release Users 3.0.1 normal has-patch needs-testing needs-refresh