Make it easier for a non-standard URL to be used to access wp-admin
|Reported by:||caesarsgrunt||Owned by:|
For some sites it is vital that the admin be accessible via a path other than /wp-admin/. Clients sometimes require this because it is easier for their users. Also, it is useful if replacing another CMS with WordPress for the root of the admin to have the same URL, although this can be partially fixed with a redirect.
Even when not required per se, some of us prefer to use a different URL to access the admin because it is more intuitive for our users to use something like /admin/ instead of /wp-admin/.
To be clear: I am not suggesting renaming the wp-admin directory, nor am I suggesting adding an option in the UI to change the path.
Rather, I am suggesting that small tweaks be ade to make it easier for power-users to enable the use of a different URL to access the admin area.
I suggest making the following changes :
1. Use relative urls within the admin where possible without affecting standard installations.
2. Allow power-users to add a constant to wp-config.php to change the path of the admin for those links which have to be absolute.
I don't think there is much work involved and I am happy to do it.
Core devs have in the past stated that the user of alternative urls to access the admin is 'not supported', but it is unclear whether this simply means that it doesn't work at the present time or that the core team is opposed to allowing it to happen.
If the latter is the case, I would appreciate an explanation - I'm sure there is a good reason if that is the case, but I can't for the life of me think what it could be. ;)
Change History (19)
comment:10 nacin — 3 years ago
- Keywords 2nd-opinion added
- Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to Future Release
comment:16 nacin — 7 months ago
- Milestone Future Release deleted
- Resolution set to wontfix
- Status changed from new to closed