Allow wildcarded domains in multisite limited email domains
|Reported by:||djcp||Owned by:||westi|
|Component:||Login and Registration||Keywords:||needs-patch|
Here at blogs.law.harvard.edu, we want to allow all harvard.edu subdomains to create blogs in our multisite install. There are hundreds of domains and it would be difficult to get a complete list because of the complexity of our DNS infrastructure.
I propose allowing the inclusion of a single prefix wildcard character in the limited email domains feature. If a limited email domain contains a "*", we would create a regex and match that specific entry via a wildcard. So "*.harvard.edu" would match "cyber.law.harvard.edu", "fas.harvard.edu", etc. To match the root TLD, you'd just manually enter "harvard.edu".
We have a variant of this applied as a core hack to our wordpress install at http://blogs.law.harvard.edu and it's been working fine for years. I will package it up as a patch if there's interest. Thoughts?
I don't think it'd make sense to allow embedded wildcards (dom*ain.org).
Change History (51)
- Keywords needs-patch added
- Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to Future Release
- Keywords 3.2-early removed
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 3.3
4 years ago
- Milestone changed from 3.3 to Future Release
- Owner set to westi
- Status changed from new to reviewing
2 years ago
- Component changed from Multisite to Login and Registration
- Focuses multisite added
- Keywords commit removed