Links to private posts in the Recent Comments widget return 404 for logged out users
|Reported by:||designsimply||Owned by:|
Expected: links shown in the recent comments widget to work for logged out users.
Observed: links to private posts return 404 for logged out users.
- Open a WordPress blog
- Go to Appearance -> Widgets and add the Recent Comments widget
- Create two posts and publish them: one private, one password-protected
- Leave comments on each post
- Go to Comments and make sure the new comments are approved
- Clear cache and cookies or use an incognito window to view the blog
- Result: Comments for both the password protected and the private post are visible in the Recent Comments widget. Clicking on the comment for the private post results in a 404 error. Clicking on the comment for the password-protected post results in asking for a password.
Tested in WPCOM latest and WPORG .
I think it makes sense to leave comments for password-protected posts in the Recent Comments widget, but removing comments of private posts for users without rights to see them makes sense since they return a 404 otherwise.
Change History (11)
- Priority changed from normal to high
- Severity changed from normal to major
- Version set to 3.0
- Keywords 3.2-early added
- Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to Future Release
- Severity changed from major to normal