Unclear wording: "An administrator must always approve the comment "
|Reported by:||joe.woidpress||Owned by:||SergeyBiryukov|
|Component:||Text Changes||Keywords:||has-patch commit ux-feedback|
I'm not certain if I should classify this as a bug or as a need to revise wording in the options menu, or if I should put in a feature request for a refined option...
If, under Settings->Discussion you have "An administrator must always approve the comment" checked, if the author of the post receiving the comment has the "edit_comment" capability, they will receive an email notification to moderate the comment in the queue.
After viewing the wp_notify_moderator function for 3.1 in pluggable.php (and comparing it to 3.0.5's version) I can see this functionality seems to be coded in by design.
What's confusing is that the option reads "An administrator must always approve the comment" and it's difficult to discern if that means the user role of "Administrator" or anyone who can be an "administrator" of the comments.
It's also hard to tell from the reading of the option text whether or not this means that the function is implemented incorrectly, or if the option is simply poorly worded.
In either case, it would be useful to be able to have more granular control over who is getting these email notifications for comment moderation.
Failing that, if the "An administrator must always approve the comment" is checked, that should mean that only users with the "Administrator" role should be able to approve the comment.
...depending on what the expected behavior of this functionality is meant to be.
Change History (37)
comment:5 in reply to: ↑ 4 @joe.woidpress — 4 years ago
- Cc kevin@… added
- Summary changed from Authors with "edit_comment" capability receive comment moderation emails for their posts when "An administrator must always approve the comment " is checked to Post Authors lacking moderate_comments capability still receive comment moderation emails
- Summary changed from Post Authors lacking moderate_comments capability still receive comment moderation emails to Unclear wording: "An administrator must always approve the comment "
comment:18 @jane — 4 years ago
- Keywords 3.4-early added
- Milestone changed from 3.3 to Future Release
comment:25 @DrewAPicture — 2 years ago
- Keywords commit added; ux-feedback tested dev-feedback removed
comment:28 @SergeyBiryukov — 2 years ago
- Owner set to SergeyBiryukov
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed