Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing a function to locate a file URI
|Reported by:||johnbillion||Owned by:||johnbillion|
|Component:||Themes||Keywords:||has-patch commit has-unit-tests|
Child theme file inheritance isn't quite as slick as it could be. A child theme should be able to selectively override any of its parent theme's files (ie. CSS & JS), not just template files.
wp_enqueue_script( 'foo', get_template_directory_uri() . '/foo.js' );
A child theme couldn't simply include a foo.js file to override its parent's as the file is always loaded from the template directory, not the stylesheet directory. If the parent theme used get_stylesheet_directory_uri() instead, then the child theme could override it but it would have to override it, otherwise we'd end up with a file not found.
The answer is to introduce a function that does the same as locate_template() but returns a URI instead of a path.
wp_enqueue_script( 'foo', locate_theme_file( 'foo.js' ) );
This would load foo.js from the child theme if it existed, and the parent theme if not.
The function could also be used for CSS files:
wp_enqueue_style( 'bar', locate_theme_file( 'bar.css' ) );
And for images too:
<img src="<?php echo locate_theme_file( 'icon.png' ); ?>" />
Stand by for a patch.
Change History (123)
- Keywords westi-likes added
- Owner set to westi
- Status changed from new to reviewing
- Summary changed from Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing a function to locate a file URI to Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate a file URI
2 months ago
- Keywords early added; westi-likes removed
- Owner changed from westi to johnbillion
- Priority changed from normal to high
2 months ago
- Summary changed from Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate a file URI to Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing a function to locate a file URI
3 weeks ago
- Keywords commit has-unit-tests added; needs-unit-tests early removed
- Status changed from reviewing to accepted