Update the Edit Post media interface
|Reported by:||andyadams||Owned by:|
I'm mulling over a redesign for the image/media/gallery interface on the Edit Post screen. As I've used WordPress, it has been the single most frustrating piece for me, requiring at least a few plugins to make the experience feel decent. Because I feel that image, gallery and media control are so vital to the CMS experience, I'd like to embark on a project to:
- Get rid of the thickbox overlay and replace it with a media selection area somewhere on the edit page. In particular, I'd like to make it so you don't lose the context of the content area when inserting images.
- Allow easy inserting of multiple images (without having to reopen the overlay).
- Allow multiple galleries per post with easy selection of specific images per gallery (probably via the include/exclude attributes).
I have a feeling this is a big project and I am a total newbie to core contribution, so I have a few questions before I dive into this:
- Is there any similar project underway that I'm not aware of?
- Based on my description of the new interface, is there anything that would be a "non-starter" for the WordPress UI?
- Any technical limitations that have been hit before when trying to do something similar?
Thanks for any help. Like I mentioned, this whole contribution thing is new to me, so forgive me if I'm overlooking anything obvious!