Improve discoverability and visual design of Screen Options and Help Panels
|Reported by:||chexee||Owned by:|
The Screen Options and Help panels are not very discoverable and, in part because of this, aren't very helpful to our users.
Here are the problems with them right now:
- Most users are blind to these tabs.
- The labels and positioning give little indication as to what these tabs actually do.
- For a lot of users, Help is not that helpful.
*They’re position in the admin creates yet another point of navigation for users to be aware of (and per #1, most of them aren’t).
- The very wide container for text makes a lot of the help text difficult to read.
Here are some proposals to improve the design and discoverability of these tabs (related images and mockups are here: http://make.wordpress.org/ui/2012/08/06/we-did-some-brainstorming-at-dev-day-today/) :
- Adding icons to these tabs would (hopefully) both make these tabs more visible and give a better indication as to what these tabs too.
- Moving these to the right side of the toolbar would give even more context to what these do, as they would be grouped with other user-specific settings.
- (6) The toolbar dropdown would allow for a slimmer content area for better readability.
- (7) The slimmer content area would let us make screen options read like a list for better scannability.
- (4/5) Putting the gear on the upper right would standardise with several other web apps (Twitter, etc).
Change History (76)
3 years ago
- Keywords early added; ui-feedback ux-feedback removed
- Milestone changed from 3.5 to Future Release
- Type changed from task (blessed) to enhancement
3 years ago
- Cc mdhansen@… added