Reading settings let users choose between "Full text" or "Summary" for the feeds but not for the blog page
|Reported by:||Lorangeo||Owned by:|
Please make the life of new Wordpress users easier.
Why not let users chose with a simple option if they want Wordpress to show the "Full text" or a "Summary" of the posts on the blog page?
> OPTION 1:
If user checks option 1 ("Full text") the blog page would always (!) show Full text.
> OPTION 2:
If user checks option 2 ("Summary") the blog page would show summaries based on the following priority order:
1) Teaser (generated with the "more" tag")
2) Manual excerpt (if there is no "more" tag in the post)
3) Automatic excerpt (if there is no manual excerpt and no "more" tag in the post)
The way it is working now seems very confusing to me. Relation between manual excerpts, automatic excerpts and teasers is everything but simple to understand for a beginner. Moreover some themes use the "the_content()" tag in their post template while others use the "the_excerpt()" tag. This makes the whole thing even more difficult to understand when switching from a theme to another.
Such a basic option is available for the feeds. It should also be available for the pages, shouldn't it?
Please check the attached image as my English is not perfect.
P.S. The "Post teaser" plugin might be a good starting point.
Change History (11)
comment:1 follow-up: ↓ 5 @c3mdigital — 3 years ago
- Severity changed from major to normal
- Version set to 1.2
- Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
- Resolution set to wontfix
- Status changed from new to closed