Deprecate Post by Email
|Reported by:||ericmann||Owned by:|
|Component:||Keywords:||dev-feedback has-patch needs-testing 3.9-early|
We said last year that we'd remove the post by email functionality from core as it was better suited for plugins. The Jetpack plugin has already added this functionality and, honestly, includes better functionality than the core version.
We should move forward with our plans to remove this feature.
I recommend deprecating it similar to the way the link manager was removed in 3.5. Essentially:
- New WordPress installations will never see the core feature
- Existing installations that aren't using it won't see it any more
- Existing installations that are using it will see a notice explaining they should switch to a plugin instead as the feature will be completely removed in the future
Basically, I want the option to go away, but I don't want anyone to start a riot if we remove a tool they're actively using.
Change History (39)
comment:27 helen — 7 months ago
- Keywords 2nd-opinion removed
- Milestone changed from 3.7 to Future Release
comment:31 wonderboymusic — 5 months ago
- Keywords 3.9-early added
- Milestone changed from 3.8 to Future Release