Tweets import plugin tracking ticket
|Reported by:||nacin||Owned by:||PeteMall|
This ticket is to track the development of a plugin that can import tweets from a downloaded twitter.com archive. Presumably, such a plugin would be added to the importers list on wp-admin/import.php.
Trac is best when it is used to discuss implementation. If you want to discuss the general idea, please do so on make/core.
Some initial thoughts on implementation:
- It should use the JSON-formatted data that comes with a downloaded tweet archive. The importer should take the entire zip, extract it, and loop through the monthly files. Anything more is an unnecessary burden on the user.
- The plugin should import the tweet as actual content. A filter is good idea, if someone wishes to toggle this to instead insert links to tweets (and thus rely on oEmbed). It should also store the JSON-serialized array of data (directly from 1.1 of Twitter's API) in postmeta.
- It should import posts as a post format. Status makes the most sense; 'link' could also work for links, then there's also 'aside'. The post format to use should be filterable on a tweet-by-tweet basis. The post type to use should be filterable, as a 'tweet' type may be desired.
- It should handle importing an archive over an existing archive, by looking for the existing tweet (probably IDs as a meta key). I don't think deleted tweets should be removed in this process, though.
- Remember that tweet IDs are going to be bigger than 32-bit integers, so they must be treated as strings, and we should not try to set a post ID as we might with other importers. This importer should be tested on a 32-bit environment.
Beyond that, there are other "nice to haves" that would likely be left to plugins of this plugin, given they are beyond the standard role of an importer. Beau Lebens, for example, has done some/all of this already:
- Tagging based on hashtags, and a separate mentions and/or in-reply-to taxonomy.
- Filtering over raw (no-HTML) content to add things like links to hashtags, links in tweets, etc., on display, rather than doing all of this on save. (Should a hashtag link go to the internal tag, or to twitter.com? Maybe the internal tag's description links to twitter.com?)
- A cron to import new tweets using the same importing methods.
One thing I will suggest: decisions, not options. Note I said "filter" a bunch of times, but never the word "option." Not that there won't be a need for any user decision here, but we should make a plugin that works well for the common use cases, and leave the rest to other enterprising developers.
Side note: I am working on acquiring a namespace for the Twitter importer in the wordpress.org plugin repository.
Change History (47)
- Cc andrew@… added
in reply to:
4 years ago
19 months ago
- Milestone WordPress.org deleted
- Priority changed from high to normal
- Resolution set to maybelater
- Status changed from accepted to closed