WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

#32560 closed defect (bug) (duplicate)

Wordpress MultiSite is not naming "wp_user_roles" field properly in wp_##_options table

Reported by: BearlyDoug Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: critical Version: 4.2.2
Component: Role/Capability Keywords: needs-patch
Focuses: administration, multisite Cc:
PR Number:

Description

In the "wp_##_options" table, the row handling wordpress user roles on MultiSite is misidentified as "wp_user_roles". It needs to be identified as "wp_##_user_roles", where the ## is the numerical ID of that MultiSite instance.

This bug has existed, in some facet, since 2011. The file involved, I believe, is:
src/wp-includes/capabilities.php

Manual fixing is possible via database queries (I used phpMyAdmin).

Note: We do not have any plugins installed that are centered around user or role management (using core WP features)

Change History (4)

#1 @BearlyDoug
5 years ago

  • Keywords needs-patch added
  • Severity changed from normal to critical

I was hoping to be able to edit the ticket above. Requesting that this gets fixed, once and for all, for 4.2.3 and 4.3 going forward. Changing severity and Workflow Keyword

#2 @BinaryKitten
5 years ago

Hi @BearlyDoug,

Is there a particular work flow that you followed to trigger this issue? I've yet to come across it on the multisite projects that I've worked on. I'm not going to say it doesn't exist, but it would be good to get some replicable steps.

#3 @BearlyDoug
5 years ago

Okay, a little more research, this may be the end result of the bugs identified in #32127 and #32308. I just checked on two sites where I applied the patches in the two linked tickets, and the wp_##_user_roles row seems to be named properly.

The difference is that the site I initially had this issue on was launched and the issues in the linked tickets were identified... the other two sites had their patches put into place before adding any users/sites.

As far as the work flow is concerned, in WP MultiSite, the additional sites were set up, then the users created via Network Admin -> Users. I then went into each site, clicking edit, then users, and then adding an existing user.

Based on my check of the other two sites, this issue could be absorbed into both #32127 and #32308, I suppose.

At least there'll now be a reference for this issue if others come across it. Not sure if we now want to keep this as a standalone bug or bind it/tie it in with the other two tickets.

#4 @jeremyfelt
5 years ago

  • Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
  • Resolution set to duplicate
  • Status changed from new to closed

Thanks for the ticket @BearlyDoug. It sounds like the core bug here was that the wp_##_ tables did not exist, so the wp_##_user_roles option could not be properly stored. As you mentioned, the ultimate fix is likely in #32127, while this ticket is probably aligned best with #32308.

I'm going to close this out as a duplicate, thank you for all of the information above.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.