Remove Post Formats and make them an optional plugin like Links
|Reported by:||mor10||Owned by:|
While I appreciate all the work done on this feature and its complicated and contentious history, I suggest removing Post Formats from core and making it a plugin along the lines of the Links feature which was removed a few years back. After the termination of Post Formats UI, it appears the feature has largely been left to pasture and implementation across themes is at best spotty and inconsistent. One example of this is how different Post Formats are treated in the default themes, culminating in the minimalist/absent inclusion in Twenty Fifteen.
Some of the key arguments that come up when discussing the removal of the feature include:
- Feature is poorly explained and understood by end-users leading to low adoption and significant confusion. This seems in part related to a lack of understanding of the term "Post Formats" itself.
- Feature support is inconsistent across themes causing users to wonder why the panel and options appear and disappear when themes are switched.
- When implemented, behavior is inconsistent between themes causing a perception of arbitrary or broken behavior in the eyes of the user.
- Specification for what exactly each post format does is vague and ambiguous giving theme developers too much room to come up with arbitrary and non-standard behaviors that cause user confusion when themes are switched.
- The use case for Post Formats seems to have gone away / been supplanted for the larger goal of making modular / Snowfall-like post editing available.
- Post Formats behavior can be mimicked by theme developers through the use of Categories or other custom taxonomies.
If we put the 80/20 rule into play here I would argue Post Formats at this point falls squarely in the 20% group (or more likely much lower). I believe it would benefit WordPress and its users to move the Post Formats feature out of core and into a plugin where it can be further developed or abandoned based on user support.
Change History (48)
- Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
- Resolution set to wontfix
- Status changed from new to closed