WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 2 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

Last modified 2 years ago

#38489 closed defect (bug) (fixed)

Fix multiple trivial spelling errors

Reported by: ottok Owned by: DrewAPicture
Milestone: 4.7 Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version:
Component: General Keywords: has-patch
Focuses: javascript, docs Cc:

Description

Hello!

I've fixed multiple minor spelling errors under wp-includes (excluding 3rd party code from TinyMCE, JQuery, ID3).

The patches are rebased on the WordPress development trunk of today.

Most changes are in code comments but there is a few in internal function names too (not API changes of course).

For easier application, I've split these into 3 separate patches (attached).

After the changes I've ran phpunit and qunit so assure there are no regressions. Links to my public Travis-CI branches are also below. If you like git, all of these changes can be imported from my git repo as 3 separate commits.

https://travis-ci.org/ottok/WordPress-develop/builds/170454678
https://travis-ci.org/ottok/WordPress-develop/builds/170454582
https://travis-ci.org/ottok/WordPress-develop/builds/170454549

Attachments (6)

fix-spelling-wp-includes.patch (17.4 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.
fix-spelling-phpunit.patch (13.6 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.
fix-spelling-qunit.patch (4.0 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.
fix-spelling-phpunit.2.diff (7.0 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.
fix-spelling-qunit.2.diff (2.2 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.
fix-spelling-wp-includes.2.diff (16.0 KB) - added by ottok 2 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (18)

#1 @netweb
2 years ago

  • Keywords needs-patch added

Hi @ottok, thanks, here are some notes :)

The following are also external libraries so they shouldn't be patched by WordPress:

The following spelling changes are not required as the original spelling is correct:

  • matching is the correct spelling so the tests/phpunit/includes/utils.php, tests/phpunit/tests/cache.php, and tests/phpunit/tests/cron.php changes in fix-spelling-phpunit.patch are not required.

#2 @ottok
2 years ago

  • Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed

Thanks @netweb for checking. I've attached patches that are updated as per above.

#3 @netweb
2 years ago

@ ottok, thanks, though could you please rename each of the patches so they end in .patch rather than .patch.2. By doing so it makes them a little a more readable here on Trac :)

#4 @ottok
2 years ago

@netweb done. I also switched filename to .diff as pros did so in #32257.

Personally I don't know how you can be effective (or in a project of this size even survive) with svn when there are no distributed branches, no effective diff tools across branches, branches cannot be squashed or rebased on latest master etc, but that is another story :)

#5 follow-up: @ocean90
2 years ago

The patches still includes a few external libraries: wp-includes/class-pop3.php, wp-includes/js/imgareaselect/jquery.imgareaselect.js, wp-includes/pomo/translations.php, wp-includes/rss.php, tests/qunit/editor/tinymce/*.

Oh, and doing it all in one patch is fine, there's no need to split them up.

#6 in reply to: ↑ 5 @SergeyBiryukov
2 years ago

Replying to ocean90:

The patches still includes a few external libraries: wp-includes/class-pop3.php, wp-includes/js/imgareaselect/jquery.imgareaselect.js, wp-includes/pomo/translations.php, wp-includes/rss.php, tests/qunit/editor/tinymce/*.

Three of those appear to be treated as "adopted" rather than external, see the revision logs:

I think it's fine to patch them.

#7 @ottok
2 years ago

I don't plan to produce more versions of the patches. You can easily omit the parts you don't want to apply as you are going to apply the patches manually anyway (this is svn and not a git merge request).

Thanks!

#8 @ottok
2 years ago

Can you please merge this? The more time passes, the more likely it is that the patches will not apply cleanly anymore on trunk.

This are trivial spelling fixes and already proof-read, so there shouldn't be anything stopping you from applying them all or partially.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core by otto. View the logs.


2 years ago

#10 @johnbillion
2 years ago

  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 4.7
  • Version trunk deleted

#11 @DrewAPicture
2 years ago

  • Owner set to DrewAPicture
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

In 39051:

Docs: Fix multiple trivial typos throughout a variety of core files.

Props ottok.
Fixes #38489.

#12 @ocean90
2 years ago

  • Type changed from enhancement to defect (bug)
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.