Changesets : opening a link from the preview as a new browser tab can be confusing
|Reported by:||nikeo||Owned by:||westonruter|
I've discussed about the customize changeset feature with another user, and it appeared that we've had the same doubts about one thing : opening a link from the preview in another tab can lead to several confusions.
A very common workflow when working in the customizer is to makes changes, and then open a link from the preview in another browser tab.
There can be various reasons to do that, but I usually do it to either see the site without the panel ( it could be hidden with hide control but I don't use this button ), compare my current customizations with the published design, access to other admin menus from the admin bar.
I'm opening this ticket because my guess is that I'm not an isolated case, and that many users are following the same workflow when customizing.
With the changeset introduction, opening a page in a new tab from the previewer does the following :
- there's no admin bar despite the fact that I'm logged in, and I'm not sure why it's been removed. Chances are that some users will report it as a bug.
- the page displays un-published changes. But since there's no information stating that's it's unsaved, I can totally forget to save my customizations and then lose them after a week of no modifications.
- all links of this page are disabled. This can be frustrating and not understood when we're out of the customizer context. Chances are that some users will report it as a bug as well.
I understand of course that one of the possibilities offered by the changeset is to share a customized design for unauthenticated users, when a UUID is included in the url. One possible solution to do that might be to provide some sort of "cutomized-share-link" button icon in the panel to copy the current changeset url.
I don't want to sound too negative there. Let's be clear about all features and opportunities brought by the changeset : this is really smart and GREAT to use !
Do other developers and users have the same feeling about the described problem ?
Change History (19)
5 months ago
- Keywords needs-patch added
- Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 4.7
- Owner set to westonruter
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Keywords close added; needs-testing removed
- Resolution set to invalid
- Status changed from accepted to closed
- Keywords close removed
- Resolution invalid deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened