prev/next links and redirected domains
|Reported by:||davidmwilliams||Owned by:||westi|
Fundamentally, I have a domain (alivad.com) which redirects via DNS to my ISP web space (http://home.exetel.com.au/davidmwilliams). I set the WordPress URI to http://www.alivad.com and the Blog address to http://www.alivad.com - both are the same.
This works, in that WordPress shows links for posts, categories, pages, etc in the format I want, namely http://www.alivad.com/?blah
HOWEVER the previous and next page links at the bottom of the page are showing wrongly as http://www.alivad.com/davidmwilliams/index.php?paged=x (and, of course, these are invalid addresses).
I can't understand why the 'davidmwilliams' part is being added like that. It seems the next/prev page links are working out the address by a mixture of the blog address and the physical underlying directory. I am surmising it uses different code to generate the link than as used for posts, categories, etc.
I originally submitted this as ticket 3933 (http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3933) but that was prematurely closed. I do NOT believe the bug report should be closed. Unfortunately I do not have the authority level to append to tickets so I have no choice but to create a new one.
Responding to the comment by the premature closer: If I change the blog address then the links work in that they generate accurate links. However, they are no longer in the desired format - i.e. all page headings and all links show as http://home.exetel.com.au/davidmwilliams/... rather than http://www.alivad.com/...
Please understand, what I am trying to do is not obscure nor unreasonable nor ridiculous nor outlandish.
Let me restate the problem:
- The blog address is www.blah.com
- blah.com is a valid domain
- blah.com is redirected via DNS to www.isp.com/foo
- ALL page and category links are generated by WordPress as www.blah.com/... as expected and as desired
- The prev and next links do NOT display in that format; they show as www.blah.com/foo/... and hence refer to non-existant pages
The implications of this are:
- the prev/next link code is different to the code to generate links elsewhere
- the prev/next link code is itself determining the underlying page address and is not respecting the blog address that has been specified
I believe this is a bug. Even if others feel what I am doing is somehow "strange" I am sure it can be appreciated that the prev/next link code is not consistent with other link code, and that in itself is a reason for wanting some tidying.
Change History (12)
- Keywords reporter-feedback added
- Owner changed from anonymous to westi
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:10 rob1n — 7 years ago
- Component changed from Administration to General
- Milestone changed from 2.3 to 2.4
- Priority changed from low to lowest
- Severity changed from normal to trivial