Category feeds don't indicate they are category feeds
|Reported by:||RuddO||Owned by:|
Okay guys, here is a patch for WordPress that properly titles and describes category RSS/Atom feeds. I didn't know how to set the URL for the feed to the URL of the category, so what I'm doing is just leaving the bloginfo URL as it is, but I hope you can whip that out from your fabulous hacking heads.
This patch makes sense because of several reasons. My personal reason is that I'm running a magazine with different sections (using categories as the section) at rudd-o.com, and I'm encouraging subscriptions to the section feeds instead of the whole magazine, but the feeds themselves don't say which category they're from. Now with this patch they do.
Another thing that I'm not sure about, and I'd like a response in the form of a comment here (I'm tracking this bug via RSS): do I have to htmlspecialchars() before doing the print's "..." in this patch? The question, more properly phrased, is: if I print a get_category_name(), should I print it htmlspecialchar()red, or should I just print it out, and trust that the WordPress category administrator won't let people type random HTML? Another way of posing the question would be: if I type an ampersand (&) in the category name, what should the theme display, "&" or "&"? This is keeping me up at night, need some sleep, please help =).
Change History (17)
- Milestone changed from 2.4 to 2.3
- Owner changed from anonymous to rob1n
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:6 @foolswisdom — 8 years ago
- Keywords has-patch added
- Milestone changed from 2.3 to 2.4 (next)
- Component changed from General to Template
- Keywords needs-patch added; has-patch removed
- Milestone changed from 2.5 to 2.6
comment:14 @stevenkword — 8 months ago
- Keywords close added
- Priority changed from normal to lowest
- Resolution set to fixed
- Severity changed from normal to trivial
- Status changed from new to closed