Make WordPress Core

Opened 2 years ago

Closed 22 months ago

Last modified 21 months ago

#44708 closed defect (bug) (fixed)

Coding consistency, seeing both $request and $request_data

Reported by: garrett-eclipse Owned by: desrosj
Milestone: 5.1 Priority: normal
Severity: minor Version: 4.9.6
Component: Privacy Keywords: good-first-bug has-patch
Focuses: Cc:



I'm noticing the variable naming for Privacy component items isn't consistent as there's a mix of both $request and $request_data for the request object. IMHO $request makes the most sense.

You can see this inconsistency best when you search for the 'wp_get_user_request_data' function call;

$request_data is used in wp-includes/user.php and once in wp-admin/includes/user.php, but $request is found in wp-admin/includes/user.php, wp-admin/includes/file.php and /wp-admin/includes/ajax-actions.php


Attachments (2)

44708.patch (5.1 KB) - added by nateallen 2 years ago.
Changes variables named $request_data to $request for consistency
44708.diff (6.4 KB) - added by bruceallen 2 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (14)

#1 @desrosj
2 years ago

  • Keywords needs-patch added
  • Severity changed from normal to minor

#2 @desrosj
2 years ago

  • Focuses privacy coding-standards removed
  • Keywords good-first-bug added

2 years ago

Changes variables named $request_data to $request for consistency

#3 @nateallen
2 years ago

  • Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed

2 years ago

#4 @pento
2 years ago

  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 5.0
  • Owner set to pento
  • Status changed from new to reviewing

#5 @bruceallen
2 years ago

Tested original patch and it looks good.

Version 0, edited 2 years ago by bruceallen (next)

#6 @pento
2 years ago

  • Status changed from reviewing to accepted

#7 @pento
2 years ago

  • Owner pento deleted
  • Status changed from accepted to assigned

#8 @garrett-eclipse
2 years ago

@pento the 44708.diff from @bruceallen seems to have gotten some unrelated css in list-tables.css that shouldn't be there. Aside from that the other changes are identical to 44708.patch from @nateallen so would use that version for the commit.

#9 @pento
2 years ago

  • Milestone changed from 5.0 to 5.1

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core-privacy by desrosj. View the logs.

22 months ago

#11 @desrosj
22 months ago

  • Owner set to desrosj
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

In 44606:

Privacy: Use consistent variable naming when working with privacy requests.

Throughout the core privacy functions, WP_User_Request instances were stored in variables named both $request, and $request_data. This changes all occurrences of $request_data to $request for better consistency.

Props nateallen, bruceallen, garrett-eclipse.
Fixes #44708.

#12 @garrett-eclipse
21 months ago

I've opened #46302 as I found more instances of $request_data. And am also wondering if wp_get_user_request_data shouldn't just be wp_get_user_request as it returns the WP_User_Request object.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.