WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 17 years ago

Closed 17 years ago

#479 closed defect (bug) (fixed)

problems with non ascii chars in 1.3

Reported by: anonymousbugger Owned by: matt
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: trivial Version:
Component: Administration Keywords:
Focuses: Cc:

Description

I'm using pretty current software on my developing workstation
PHP 5.0.2 and MySQL 4.1.7 and apache 2.0.52 and was having big difficulties entering non ascii chars into post and pages. Basically the post would get cut off at the non ascii char. The thing that got me was that phpMyAdmin was working fine. After much searching and frustration. I found out that the browser was delivering the wp content in non utf-8 where as the it was delivering the phpmyadmin content in utf-8.

Change History (5)

#2 @adsworth
17 years ago

Hi,

I just noticed that the fix doesn't work quite as expected.
MySQL expects the charset as utf8 where as in the blog it'S defined as
utf-8.
So maybe a translation hash is neccesary or something similar.
It might also be an idea to create a method set_character_set in wpdb
which hides all the nitty gritty stuff.

Let me know if you want me to finish this off.

Regards

Adi

#3 @ryan
17 years ago

  • Patch set to Yes

#4 @2fargon
17 years ago

  • Patch changed from Yes to No
  • Severity changed from major to trivial

#5 @matt
17 years ago

  • fixed_in_version set to 1.5
  • Owner changed from anonymous to matt
  • Resolution changed from 10 to 20
  • Status changed from new to closed

We now send the proper content-type, the charset stuff in MySQL is only in newer versions we don't support yet.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.