WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 19 months ago

Closed 11 months ago

Last modified 11 months ago

#49811 closed defect (bug) (worksforme)

Issue with column widths since update 5.4

Reported by: sarahsas Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version: 5.4
Component: Editor Keywords: has-screenshots
Focuses: Cc:

Description

Hi there. Ever since updating to WordPress 5.4, I’m encountering the following issue with column blocks: when you resize the % of one column, the other columns will not automatically resize to add to 100% as they used to do. Additionally, if you try to choose any of the secondary columns, you cannot access the menu that allows you to enter the % width if they have content in them already, the selector simply will not highlight the column anymore, only the content within it. Solution seems to be to REMOVE all content from the column (at which point you can access the column width menu option) and then enter the width %, and then put the content BACK in the column… which is a bit of a pain when you want to re-adjust the widths again later. I notice this doesn't seem to be an issue if you start with the 50/50 column layout, but it occurs in any other column layouts you choose. Is anyone else having this issue?

Attachments (5)

initial-column-blocks.png (494.2 KB) - added by sarahsas 19 months ago.
initial column blocks created
change-width-first-column.png (472.4 KB) - added by sarahsas 19 months ago.
change the width of first column to 20%
notice-2nd-column-still-same-width.png (493.1 KB) - added by sarahsas 19 months ago.
notice second column content has not changed to 80 and you cannot select the column to adjust, only the content within
notice-full-block-larger-than-total-columns.png (475.7 KB) - added by sarahsas 19 months ago.
notice full block shows 2nd column content does not reach all the way to the right side
column-blocks-selection.jpg (67.5 KB) - added by sabernhardt 11 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

@sarahsas
19 months ago

initial column blocks created

@sarahsas
19 months ago

change the width of first column to 20%

@sarahsas
19 months ago

notice second column content has not changed to 80 and you cannot select the column to adjust, only the content within

@sarahsas
19 months ago

notice full block shows 2nd column content does not reach all the way to the right side

#1 @SergeyBiryukov
19 months ago

  • Component changed from General to Editor

#2 @mukesh27
19 months ago

  • Keywords has-screenshots added

#3 @sabernhardt
11 months ago

Hi @sarahsas and thanks for the report!

To select the column block, you can either click the "Column" button in the bottom breadcrumb list or find the block within the tree list (at the top).

When one of two columns is adjusted (for example, to 20%), the other column should be "auto" or blank and cover the remaining percentage (80%) without needing to specify the number.

#4 @sarahsas
11 months ago

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from new to closed

Thank you @sabernhardt , yes I think this bug was resolved with the update to v 5.5, so it's no longer an issue :) Appreciate the reply though!

#5 @sabernhardt
11 months ago

  • Milestone Awaiting Review deleted

you're welcome!

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.