WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 4 months ago

Last modified 8 weeks ago

#53028 accepted defect (bug)

Inconsistent Capitalisation

Reported by: Presskopp Owned by: audrasjb
Milestone: 5.9 Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version:
Component: Text Changes Keywords: good-first-bug has-patch needs-refresh
Focuses: Cc:

Description

just came across

documentation URL, documentation page, documentation links (lower case)

while mostly we use

Documentation URL, Documentation menu, Documentation link, Documentation dropdown etc (upper case)

Then there is "site URL", "website URL"

and probably more strings.

We should be consistent here.

Change History (10)

#1 @audrasjb
4 months ago

  • Owner set to audrasjb
  • Status changed from new to accepted

Good catch. I'm collecting the list of files right now, then I'll add the good-first-bug keyword :)

#2 follow-up: @audrasjb
4 months ago

  • Keywords good-first-bug added
  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 5.8

Here are the occurrences I found in translatable strings.

Documentation page:

  • wp-admin/update-core.php

Documentation link:

  • wp-admin/option-discussion.php
  • wp-admin/option-writing.php

Documentation URL:
Unable to find it in translatable strings, only on translators comments.

Site/Website URL:

  • wp-admin/includes/class-wp-debug-data.php
  • wp-admin/includes/class-wp-privacy-policy-content.php
  • wp-admin/includes/ms.php

This ticket was mentioned in PR #1193 on WordPress/wordpress-develop by helloarpitgshah.


4 months ago

  • Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed

#4 @arpitgshah
4 months ago

I just have made changes with each of the files as per the listing.

#5 in reply to: ↑ 2 @mukesh27
4 months ago

  • Keywords needs-refresh added

Hi there,

We should update those translators comments like in other files. Some files there are more.

meta-boxes.php#L705
options-general.php#L97

Replying to audrasjb:

Here are the occurrences I found in translatable strings.

Documentation URL:
Unable to find it in translatable strings, only on translators comments.

#6 @arpitgshah
4 months ago

Hey @mukesh27 & @audrasjb

Do we need to change this translator comments or string to capitalization?

Do we also need to add comments based on your list of path with all files or need to find and add from all the folders and file?

Please confirm.

Thanks,
Arpit G Shah

#7 @desrosj
8 weeks ago

Reviewing this, I'm not sure that the preferred change is to always capitalize "documentation". I personally wouldn't consider "documentation" to be a proper noun.

All instances of Documentation URL in Core that I can find are at the beginning of a sentence, and all instances of documentation URL are found within sentences, so these seem to be correct. Documentation page also has 6 lowercase instances and no capitalized, which also seems to be correct.

Below is my findings on the other strings:

  • Documentation link: 1 capitalized mid sentence, 7 lowercase
  • Documentation link(s): 1 capitalized mid sentence, 7 lowercase
  • Documentation menu: 1 capitalized mid sentence
  • Documentation dropdown: 1 capitalized mid sentence
  • Site URL: 3 incorrectly capitalized mid sentence, 54 correctly lower cased mid sentence.
  • Website URL: 2 instances lower cased as translation context.

The more common pattern that matches what I would expect to see is only capitalized when the first word of a sentence, label, or translation string/context, and lowercase everywhere else.

Today is the beta 1 deadline for 5.8. If someone is able to refresh the patch in the next ~6 hours, we can get this one in. But otherwise I will punt to 5.9 to allow more time.

#8 @arpitgshah
8 weeks ago

Hey @desrosj

Can you please provide the location of the files so that we can make it easy to work.

So as per your comments as we need to do beginning of the sentence will be capitalize and mid of sentence will be small cases.

Thanks,
Arpit G Shah

#9 @desrosj
8 weeks ago

@arpitgshah Sorry, I'm unable to give links to every instance in the code base right now. But performing a case sensitive search using your code editor should be able to uncover all of the instances for you.

#10 @audrasjb
8 weeks ago

  • Milestone changed from 5.8 to 5.9

Moving to 5.9 as it needs to be updated to handle other use cases.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.