WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 5 weeks ago

Closed 5 weeks ago

Last modified 3 weeks ago

#54134 closed defect (bug) (worksforme)

Translations of several buttons lost after upgrade to WP 5.8.1

Reported by: haipo Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version: 5.8.1
Component: I18N Keywords:
Focuses: ui Cc:

Description

Hi Team
After the upgrade to 5.8.1 several buttons lost their translation
And it is not possible to find them in LOCO as well
The missing translations are located in the editor

The missing translation list:
Status & visibility
Permalink
Revisions
Switch to draft

Example of the missing translation - see image

https://haipo.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Missing-translations-after-upgrade-to-WP-5.8.1.jpg

My site:
https://haipo.co.il

Thanks,
Yaron Carmi

Attachments (1)

Missing translations after upgrade to WP 5.8.1.JPG (94.0 KB) - added by haipo 5 weeks ago.
Example of the missing translations

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

@haipo
5 weeks ago

Example of the missing translations

#1 @tobifjellner
5 weeks ago

Hi @haipo
Although this might feel like a WordPress core bug, I'm not sure it is. (In other words: A good first place to ask about this problem might have been the usual forums. )

Still: The technical handling of these particular strings is a bit tricky, since the translation is consumed in Javascript, and translations for Javascript are packaged in .json files, rather than the "usual" .po and .mo files that PHP uses.

In case you got some broken files in your latest update, have you tried the "Reinstall he_IL 5.8.1" on the "Updates" page?

It might be possible that something is incorrect with the current Hebrew language pack. Let's ping the #he_IL team (← by pinging them, like I just did) and ask them if they can see the same problem on other sites.

We should note that the Hebrew translation is still not at 100%. But these particular strings do seem to be translated. (I.e. pending voluntary translator contribution. Wink-wink :) )

On my (Swedish) test site these strings are correctly translated. But of course we still can't exclude a problem with core, in case there might be an issue with RTL languages, for instance, or something went wrong in the build process, or something went wrong in your particular update.

#2 @tobifjellner
5 weeks ago

Also: Please also check if the problem is still present if you temporarily deactivate all your plugins and switch to a standard WordPress theme (like TwentyTwentyone).

#3 @mukesh27
5 weeks ago

  • Component changed from Administration to I18N

#4 @haipo
5 weeks ago

Hi @tobifjellner
-
I did as you asked me:
Deactivated all plugins
Changed to theme: Twenty twenty one
And also rechecked that both my DEV site and my production site have the same problem
.
If you like, I can share with you credentials to my DEV site, so you can have a look.I hope this information is useful for you.
-
Thanks a lot for your responce
I really appreciate it.
-
Yaron Carmi

#5 @tobifjellner
5 weeks ago

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

If you like, I can share with you credentials

Please never ask for other people's credential or offer to share you own here.

I just added Hebrew as a language on my testsite and could see the same problem you were having.
Then I forced the Hebrew language pack to be rebuilt (by rejecting a single string and then accepting it again and waited for the hourly build task to happen).
When I after that update the translations via the "Update" page, the problem was gone.

So I'm going to close this ticket.

#6 @desrosj
3 weeks ago

  • Milestone Awaiting Review deleted
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.