Make WordPress Core

Opened 13 months ago

Closed 10 months ago

Last modified 10 months ago

#58117 closed enhancement (fixed)

Change blog name into site name in the comments.

Reported by: nekojonez's profile NekoJonez Owned by: audrasjb's profile audrasjb
Milestone: 6.3 Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version:
Component: General Keywords: has-patch commit
Focuses: Cc:

Description

In a lot of the documentation, we talk about "Site name". Yet, some comments remain as blog name where it shouldn't. I also found an use in the help tab where we should use site url instead of blog url... Since, a commenter can link to a site instead of a blog.
So, in this PR I want to change that.

I'd love for some people to take a look at it. Since, I'm not that well versed into the WP code, and maybe I changed comments where I shouldn't. Let me know and I adjust the PR. :)

Change History (11)

This ticket was mentioned in PR #4316 on WordPress/wordpress-develop by @NekoJonez.


13 months ago
#1

  • Keywords has-patch has-unit-tests added

In most comments we talk about site name, site url and such... But some comments still use blog name, blog url. I want to make this a bit more consistent in this PR.

Also, I change one string in a help tab where it says blog url when a commenter can have a site url... And every site can be a blog but not every blog is a site (if that makes sense)

Trac ticket: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58117

#2 @SergeyBiryukov
13 months ago

  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 6.3

#3 follow-up: @audrasjb
13 months ago

Previously: [36386], [36416], [36417], [46213].

The PR looks good to me and I'm all for updating all these various docblocks, but we end up with some inconsistencies between function parameters and variables and their descriptions. Example:
* @param int $blog_id Site ID.

This is not a big issue, but for better consistency, we should probably aim to find a solution to bring more consistency (or we can also just accept it).

#4 in reply to: ↑ 3 @NekoJonez
13 months ago

Replying to audrasjb:

Previously: [36386], [36416], [36417], [46213].

The PR looks good to me and I'm all for updating all these various docblocks, but we end up with some inconsistencies between function parameters and variables and their descriptions. Example:
* @param int $blog_id Site ID.

This is not a big issue, but for better consistency, we should probably aim to find a solution to bring more consistency (or we can also just accept it).

While I was creating this PR I noticed so much use of variables with the word blog in it... It sounds almost to me that a lot of rewriting is going to be needed for that. And me thinking out loud... Maybe a lot of hooks might break?

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #polyglots by nekojonez. View the logs.


13 months ago

#6 @audrasjb
12 months ago

  • Owner set to audrasjb
  • Status changed from new to accepted

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core by nekojonez. View the logs.


11 months ago

#8 @oglekler
10 months ago

  • Keywords needs-testing added

I don't think that any variables names and hooks needs to be changed. This is a simple enough patch, the only question is if this patch catches all places or not.

I wonder why has-unit-tests was added automatically because this patch don't have them and don't need them as well.

#9 @johnbillion
10 months ago

  • Component changed from Comments to General
  • Keywords commit added; has-unit-tests needs-testing removed

This isn't even close to all the instances of "blog" where it should be "site", but trying to do them all at once is a big job. Let's get this in, further instances can be handled in follow-up tickets.

#10 @johnbillion
10 months ago

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

In 55942:

General: Replace some instances of "blog" with "site" in documentation, translator comments, and user-facing text strings.

This is not an exhaustive change, but it gets us closer to using "site" in place of "blog" in as many places as possible.

Props NekoJonez, audrasjb, oglekler

Fixes #58117

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.