Make WordPress Core

Opened 7 months ago

Closed 8 days ago

Last modified 8 days ago

#59008 closed defect (bug) (fixed)

Twenty Twenty-Three: problem with some international characters

Reported by: cvorko's profile cvorko Owned by: audrasjb's profile audrasjb
Milestone: 6.5 Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version: 6.1
Component: Bundled Theme Keywords: has-patch commit
Focuses: Cc:

Description (last modified by sabernhardt)

Theme Twenty Twenty-Three has default font DM Sans. When using this font, there are no characters for Croatian characters (čćžšđČĆŽŠĐ) and a replacement font is used.

In the attached image there is a sample WordPress text (showed when editing styles), and Croatian characters are marked - they are obviously in another font.

I can change the font, but beginners (at least in the first few days) use default theme and default font.

Attachments (3)

2023_DM_Sans_CRO.png (22.8 KB) - added by cvorko 7 months ago.
Text with some Croatian characters - not in default DM Sans font.
Latin-extended-with-patch.png (193.0 KB) - added by sabernhardt 6 months ago.
Latin Extended characters in DM Sans with PR 5123
DMSans-WOFF2.zip (122.9 KB) - added by sabernhardt 4 months ago.
WOFF2 files (with license)

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (18)

@cvorko
7 months ago

Text with some Croatian characters - not in default DM Sans font.

#1 @sabernhardt
7 months ago

  • Component changed from Themes to Bundled Theme
  • Description modified (diff)
  • Focuses ui removed
  • Keywords needs-patch added; reporter-feedback removed
  • Summary changed from Twenty Twenty-Three - 1.2 - problem with some international characters to Twenty Twenty-Three: problem with some international characters
  • Version changed from 6.3 to 6.1

Thanks for the report!

Twenty Twenty-Two's DM Sans files seem to include the Latin Extended characters, but Twenty Twenty-Three falls back to the browser's default sans-serif for those.

This ticket was mentioned in PR #5123 on WordPress/wordpress-develop by @sabernhardt.


6 months ago
#2

  • Keywords has-patch added; needs-patch removed

Uses WOFF2 files from the Google Fonts repository and adds font credits from Twenty Twenty-Two.

Trac 59008

@sabernhardt
6 months ago

Latin Extended characters in DM Sans with PR 5123

#3 @sabernhardt
6 months ago

The WOFF2 files from the Google Fonts repo include almost all of Latin Extended set A plus nine characters of set B. (I switched my default font to Comic Sans to make the missing characters from set A stand out more.) All ten of the Croatian examples would be supported with those files.

I also checked the theme's other three bundled fonts, and each already supports more characters in Extended-A than DM Sans. IBM Plex Mono only lacks ſ, Inter supports all but ʼn and ſ, and Source Serif Pro also has additional characters but does not have six of the glyphs found in the full DM Sans (Ĭ ĭ IJ ij Ǽ ǽ).

Last edited 5 months ago by sabernhardt (previous) (diff)

#4 @sabernhardt
5 months ago

  • Keywords needs-testing added
  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 6.4

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core by nicolefurlan. View the logs.


5 months ago

#6 @sabernhardt
5 months ago

Note: I did not have success applying the patch with SVN due to the binary font files. Also, the readme change is proposed separately in #59483.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core-test by nicolefurlan. View the logs.


5 months ago

#8 @nicolefurlan
5 months ago

This ticket was discussed during the 6.4 bug scrub today. We dropped it in #core-test to hopefully get some testers on it.

#9 @nicolefurlan
4 months ago

Just checking on this ticket as we're just over a week from 6.4 RC1. @cvorko would you be willing to test the patch to see if your reported issue is resolved?

@sabernhardt
4 months ago

WOFF2 files (with license)

#10 @sabernhardt
4 months ago

If the patch needs to be regenerated for binary files, I uploaded the four WOFF2 files with names to fit Twenty Twenty-Three.

For testing the extended characters, you could copy and paste (in Code view) the blocks I made.

Last edited 4 months ago by sabernhardt (previous) (diff)

#11 @sabernhardt
4 months ago

  • Milestone changed from 6.4 to 6.5

#12 @poena
2 weeks ago

  • Keywords commit added; needs-testing removed

I was also not able to apply the patch, but needed to manually replace the existing font files with the provided files.

@dingo_d has helped test the replacement fonts in Croatian and confirms they are working.

#13 @audrasjb
8 days ago

Self assigning for commit.

#14 @audrasjb
8 days ago

  • Owner set to audrasjb
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

In 57609:

Twenty Twenty-Three: Include Latin-extended characters in DM Sans font files.

This changeset fixes a bug where a replacement font was used in some languages, like Croatian.

Props cvorko, sabernhardt, poena, dingo_d.
Fixes #59008.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.