Suggests for improving tech instruction
|Reported by:||RanYanivHartstein||Owned by:||westi|
2.5 introduced inline documentation in the administration areas - many options now have short descriptions.
However, some of these could be made superfluous if only the options they were documenting were properly explained in the first place.
For e.g., in the post edit page, the option for allowing pingbacks and trackbacks reads "Allow pings", and is followed by and explanation that reads "pings are trackbacks and pingbacks". Isn't it easier to just say "Allow trackbacks and pingbacks", and this way be more consistent with other mentions of these concepts elsewhere in the admin?
A more obvious example is in the link edit page. Options for setting the target value are just the meaningless "_blank", "_top" and "none", and these are followed by an explanation that reads "Essentially this means if you choose _blank your link will open in a new window" (i.e., "We confused you with too many options you don't care about, but this is how to get what you really want here"). I would suggest simply explaining what these options do - "_blank (new window/tab)", "_top (breaks out of frames), "none (same window)".
I suppose there are more examples, these are just a few that stood out.
Change History (41)
- Milestone changed from 2.5 to 2.6
- Summary changed from Inline documentation introduced in 2.5 to Suggests for improving tech instruction
- Version set to 2.5
- Owner changed from anonymous to ninjaWR
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Component changed from Administration to Inline Docs
- Keywords needs-patch added; dev-feedback removed
- Milestone changed from 2.9 to Future Release
- Type changed from defect (bug) to enhancement