WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Opened 6 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#9191 closed defect (bug) (worksforme)

Permalink custom structure 404 issue

Reported by: bankrate Owned by: ryan
Milestone: Priority: high
Severity: normal Version: 2.6.1
Component: Permalinks Keywords:
Focuses: Cc:

Description

I have run into a weird issue where 4 digit post_id's for the following custom structure is causing a 404 Not Found.

Custom structure setting:
/%post_id%/%postname%/

Example broken URL: (4 digit post_id)
http://www.bankaholic.com/1005/more-high-yield-checking-accounts/

Example working URL: (3 digit post_id)
http://www.bankaholic.com/988/americanet-checking-account-is-very-rewarding/

I have tried tweaking the core to see if I could find a fix but was unable to do so. I was also unable to find similar issues by searching the docs, trac, and google.

One interesting think to note is that if you call the page with only the post_id without the postname slug it does work.
http://www.bankaholic.com/1005/

Change History (7)

comment:1 @mrmist6 years ago

  • Milestone set to 2.8

Most likely a dupe of #5305

comment:2 @Denis-de-Bernardy6 years ago

  • Keywords needs-patch dev-feedback added; 404 not found post_id 4 digit postname removed

actually, this one looks even more fun. the odds are it's getting matched as a year. :D

See also:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3614#comment:25

the short answer imo is wontfix. and use the default, yyyy/mm/dd/slug as the permalink structure

comment:3 @Denis-de-Bernardy6 years ago

see also #9595 (closed as dup)

comment:4 @Denis-de-Bernardy6 years ago

  • Keywords dev-feedback removed
  • Milestone changed from 2.8 to Future Release

comment:5 @Denis-de-Bernardy6 years ago

  • Milestone changed from Future Release to 2.9

comment:6 @ryan5 years ago

  • Milestone changed from 2.9 to Future Release

comment:7 @wonderboymusic3 years ago

  • Keywords needs-patch removed
  • Milestone Future Release deleted
  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from new to closed

I changed my Custom Structure to "/%post_id%/%postname%/" using trunk. Worked right away.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.