Support XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD by Changing code from Target="_blank" -TO- onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;"
|Reported by:||Kenv||Owned by:|
Any time I direct visitors to content that is not on my site I attempt to always utilize the Target="_blank" which is total appropriate since I use Transitional DTD.
WordPress 2.7.1 creates:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-W3CDTD XHTML 1.0 StrictEN"
Admin > links > edit/add new > Target > _blank/_top/none
selecting Target _blank creates a depreciated attribute of target="_blank" under the "Strict" DTD
Strict DTD requires:
<a href="another_page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;" title="Another page new">Open in new window!</a>
Line 340, Column 107: there is no attribute "target".
…ometics replicated web site." target="_blank">Biometics™ Info</a></li>
You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
Change History (7)
- Keywords needs-patch 2nd-opinion added; Target= _blank removed
- Milestone changed from 2.8 to 2.9
- Summary changed from Change code from Target="_blank" -TO- onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;" to Support XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD by Changing code from Target="_blank" -TO- onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;"
- Type changed from defect (bug) to feature request
- Milestone changed from 2.9 to Future Release
- Priority changed from normal to lowest
- Severity changed from normal to trivial