100% CPU usage, unresponsive script when entering Edit Post page with large # of categories
|Reported by:||_timk||Owned by:|
This is an offshoot of ticket #8957. That ticket applied to leaving the page, while this applies to entering the page.
Steps to reproduce:
- Add around 2000 categories to WordPress. 99% of mine are two levels deep (each has one parent with one parent, only 4 "parent" categories exist in the system), but I don't think it matters since the hierarchy is not displayed on the Edit Post page where the problem occurs.
- Visit the Edit Post page for any post. As the page loads, the browser will halt for a few seconds (fast computer) or many seconds (slow computer) and may trigger script timeouts in the browser.
My WordPress install is v2.7.0 with the patch from #10444 to solve this same kind of issue on page unload. jQuery version is 1.3.1.
When I last dug into this with a jQuery profiler, execution was spending a lot of time near this comment:
So that might be something to look at.
Change History (5)
- Keywords needs-patch added
- Milestone changed from Unassigned to Future Release
- Component changed from UI to Performance
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 2.9
- Owner set to Denis-de-Bernardy
- Owner Denis-de-Bernardy deleted
- Status changed from new to assigned