Existing galleries (aka "Uploaded to this post") cannot be manually ordered
|Reported by:||devinreams||Owned by:||nacin|
|Cc:||batmoo@…, code@…, brady@…, micahwave, viper007bond, matt@…|
Description (last modified by SergeyBiryukov)
I'm not sure if this is worth a separate ticket and may be similar to #22488 (or may be part of a larger usability decision in #21390) but here goes: existing galleries (aka "Uploaded to this post") cannot be manually ordered which affects areas where users relied on programmatic output respecting the manual sort order of attachments to the post.
If I have a post with 5 photos uploaded and a [gallery] shortcode inline (intention: output all photos uploaded to this post), and simply want to re-order the photos, I have no discernible way to do this without inserting a new gallery shortcode to replace the existing one (with the specific id order output).
- Upload multiple photos to a post (attached to post) and manually set a specific sort-order (likely using legacy media uploader/gallery manager)
- Insert [gallery] shortcode inline
- Open new "Insert Media" dialog
- Select "Uploaded to this post" from dropdown to show attached photos (appearing in 'gallery' shortcode)
- Attempt to drag/drop re-order the photos
Expected: sort order can be changed here in this "Uploaded to this post" view to re-order uploaded image order (without replacing shortcode).
Actual: all photos 'uploaded to this post' must be re-selected, ordered, and a new inline gallery needs to be used.
Also worth considering: some themes leveraged the "uploaded to this post" sort order (eg: a carousel at the top of the page) which can no longer be modified (AFAIK).
Change History (27)
comment:22 nacin — 12 months ago
- Owner set to nacin
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed