Month name declension
|Reported by:||waclawjacek||Owned by:||nbachiyski|
Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I've sent to the wp-polyglots mailing list:
"I wanted to point out the fact that nouns in Polish have variants - it depends on the context you use them in. While I can make most of the strings fit the context and retain proper Polish syntax there's a problem with month names. Let me show you an example: "January" is "Styczeń" in Polish and that's all OK for the calendar
widget's header, but when it comes to "View posts for January 2008" it'd have to be "Zobacz wpisy opublikowane w *styczniu* 2008", same with "19 *stycznia* 2008" instead of "19 Styczeń 2008" (and unfortunately it's rather impossible to make a good looking workaround for all of them). It'd also be nice if translators could do the same with weekdays.
I guess the dates are fetched from PHP's date() so implementing such a feature would require some planning. It's not a serious issue, though the lack of it spoils the impression a bit. :)"
One idea is to use a switch() condition in combination with date() returning a numeric value which would be parsed by the aforementioned switch() returning the proper word.
Change History (22)
- Resolution wontfix deleted
- Severity changed from normal to minor
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Keywords reporter-feedback added
- Milestone changed from Unassigned to Future Release
- Keywords has-patch 2nd-opinion added; reporter-feedback removed
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 2.8