Make WordPress Core

Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#51844 new defect (bug)

Two different automatic update emails are sent at the same time

Reported by: knutsp's profile knutsp Owned by:
Milestone: Awaiting Review Priority: normal
Severity: minor Version:
Component: Upgrade/Install Keywords:
Focuses: Cc:


Subject 1.

Some plugins were automatically updated

Subject 2.

Background Update Finished

Both mentioning the same plugin(s).

Change History (5)

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #core-auto-updates by hellofromtonya. View the logs.

3 years ago

#2 @hellofromTonya
3 years ago

@knutsp reports on Slack:

It happens with 5.6-RC1, not with 5.5.

#3 @pbiron
3 years ago

  • Version 5.6 deleted

yes, doesn't happen when running 5.5, but it's NOT a regression in 5.6-RC1. The one with subject line Background Update Finished is sent only when running a development version of WP (e.g., alpha, beta, RC, nightlies)...the other is sent regardless of whether running a dev version or not. The development version email has been sent since 3.7...the other one, obviously, was new in 5.5.

If you're using WordPress Beta Tester plugin, you can suppress the Background Update Finished email by going to Tools > Beta Testing > Extra Settings (Network Admin > Settings > Beta Testing > Extra Settings in multisite) and check the Skip successful autoupdate emails. setting (and then saving your settings). Note: doing this will also suppress the sending of that email core core and theme updates as well.

#4 @pbiron
3 years ago

note: I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Background Update Finished email...but the fact that you now get 2 emails on successful updates is not really a "bug".

#5 @knutsp
3 years ago

  • Severity changed from normal to minor

Thank you for the clarification, @pbiron. I used the the beta plugin in the 5.5 cycle, so I did not discover it. I now just use const WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE = 'beta';

Since the main purpose of releasing and installing development versions is to test the next general release, it's a problem that it, on purpose, behaves differently than it will when moved from development (even RC2) to final.

Stating that it's not really a bug is just confusing and little constructive. Unnecessary and unwanted, I call that a bug and the reason I reported it here.

I also see that what earlier was called "background updates" now is called "auto-updates". Time to clean up.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.