Make WordPress Core

Opened 8 months ago

Closed 7 months ago

#59459 closed defect (bug) (reported-upstream)

Accessibility for Footnote Block

Reported by: creeser's profile creeser Owned by:
Milestone: Priority: normal
Severity: normal Version: 6.3
Component: Editor Keywords: gutenberg-merge
Focuses: accessibility Cc:

Description

We tested the new Gutenberg Footnotes Block for accessibility, and the feature works well. However, between the footnotes themselves, the "↩" character is being spoken by the NVDA screen reader as "right arrow curving left" which could be directionally confusing for some assistive technology users, but is also quite a lot for a user to hear for an icon description. Could an aria-label be added instead?

Change History (6)

#1 @sabernhardt
8 months ago

  • Component changed from Text Changes to Editor
  • Summary changed from Accessibility enhancement for Footnote Block to Accessibility for Footnote Block
  • Type changed from enhancement to defect (bug)

Hi and welcome to WordPress Core Trac!

This bug was reported on GitHub last week (it was labeled enhancement there too):
https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/54727

I could close this as 'reported-upstream' but for now I'll leave it open here to get more attention. Please continue the conversation on GitHub.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #accessibility by sabernhardt. View the logs.


8 months ago

#3 @joedolson
8 months ago

  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 6.4

This is being tracked on Gutenberg, but for visibility I'm milestoning it as a bug fix for 6.4, as well.

This ticket was mentioned in Slack in #accessibility by joedolson. View the logs.


8 months ago

#5 @oglekler
8 months ago

  • Keywords gutenberg-merge added

#6 @kirasong
7 months ago

  • Milestone 6.4 deleted
  • Resolution set to reported-upstream
  • Status changed from new to closed

I checked the GitHub issue and it looks like this is partially fixed, but awaiting feedback and a PR for the other part.

There is a design approach ready for review on the GitHub issue.

I'm going to resolve this as reported-upstream now because 6.4 RC1 is happening shortly.
If it's preferred to continue to track in both places, please feel free to re-open and milestone.

Thanks everyone for your work on this!
As always, please feel free to reopen if there any questions, or I missed anything here.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.