Ease MySQL4.1 character set configuration
|Reported by:||tenpura||Owned by:||tenpura|
MySQL4.1 and later, character set configuration become complicated and this annoys people. The problem is that if the person has no permission to modify my.cnf, the only solution so far is to hardcode a MySQL query to the core file such as wp-db.php. This is not easy for everyone.
Most people execute "SET NAMES 'utf8'" query right after the database connection is made. This will set session values of 4 MySQL system variables (character_set_client, character_set_connection, character_set_results, collation_connection) to utf8. In most cases this operation is necessary because these values default to latin1. The only solution I can think of is to control this from wp-config.php. (see attachment)
What I want to say is that this is everybody's issue including English users, because if one gets garbled UTF-8 international trackbacks or comments on his UTF-8 WP, that means his WP may be misconfigured.
Change History (13)
- Keywords i18n removed
- Priority changed from normal to high
- Summary changed from ease MySQL4.1 character set configuration to Ease MySQL4.1 character set configuration
- Type changed from defect to enhancement
- Owner changed from anonymous to tenpura
- Status changed from new to assigned